It was another great day in the cafe today. We had the privilege of Nazia cooking with us, as well as Nathan! All of the volunteers were watching on with interest, as the curry and pilau rice was prepared. One of the things that really impressed me, was the way that Nazia shakes up the pan of rice to distribute the flavours evenly once it is cooked. Today’s pan was very large and heavy, in and of itself, let alone the weight of rice and seasonings that were in it too! I’m not sure that I would have managed that weight. Then, as Nathan was preparing food for tonight’s Rainbow Bistro, he was telling a little bit about it. For example, we saw and tried a prickly pear for the first time. It is always wonderful to see the beautiful ingredients that he finds to cook with.
Our 59 customers really enjoyed Nathan’s soup and Nazia’s curry, along with the rest of the menu. Here’s what they ordered to eat in the cafe or take home for later:
- 28 portions of spicy split pea and carrot soup
- 27 portions of vegetable curry and pilau rice
- 18 portions of kale and cheese quiche
- 14 portions of beef burger with potato wedges
- 19 portions of New York cheesecake
- 12 portions of fruit salad
- 9 portions of cherry or apple pie with clotted cream
£118.44 was given in monetary donations and lots of people helped out with ordering, serving, washing up and tidying away. A range of food was intercepted including bread and sandwiches.
A big thank you to everyone who supported the cafe today! You helped us to #feed bellies not bins!
The cafe is open as usual next week:
- Monday 10am till 4pm
- Tuesday 10am till 4pm
- Thursday 10am till 4pm
- Friday 10am till 4pm
- Rainbow Bistro – Friday 6pm till 7.30pm (book on Facebook or in the cafe to avoid disappointment!)