So Emma is taking her well earned summer break to recover from running the cafe (and to spend time with her daughter!) and is the cafe surviving?
Of course it is! I did question Jambo’s sanity when I found him melting down chocolate truffles (how can he do that to something that is so close to perfection?) but when I tasted the chocolate brownies I realised that he did know what he was doing!
The cafe was quite busy today with visitors, some returning friends and regulars including some young people from overseas. There were several food deliveries and Jambo brought some “wasted” food along – all of it otherwise destined for the big hole in the ground. The dedicated team managed to produce some fantastic meals using the food and we served the following to about 40 customers:
- 5 portions of vegetable soups
- 11 portions of Celery and butternut soups
- 23 portions of chicken, leek and mushroom bake
- 8 portions of pasta and bean ratatouille
- 7 portions of sausage rolls and ratatouille
- 8 portions of toffee cakes
- 9 portions of apple pie
- 14 portions of chocolate brownie
- 1 portion of banana sorbet
- (no rats were harmed in the preparation of the ratatouille!)
Contributions of £97.36 were made on a Pay As You Feel basis for the meals and food in the food boutique. We also had much appreciated help in the kitchen and in the garden.
Those of you who have been watching Hugh Fearnly-Whathisname on the TV will know that there is a huge problem with “wasted” food, thank you for helping to be part of the solution and feeding bellies not bins!