It was a fun day in the cafe, as we had the extra challenge of electrical work in the entrance area. However, we just about kept things running as usual…just using the side door instead of the front door. Nathan and our wonderful team of volunteers cooked up a delicious menu, which went down well with our 45 customers. Here’s what was ordered to eat in or take home for later:
- 28 portions of leek and potato soup
- 18 portions of pesto and pasta
- 11 portions of vegan turkey and chorizo style stew
- 13 portions of squash and black rice risotto
- 3 portions of cauliflower cheese
- 20 portions of poppy seed and apple crumble
- 16 portions of bread and butter pudding
- 5 portions of raspberry cheesecake
- 7 portions of pumpkin blondie with marshmallow cream
- 1 portion of blueberries and yoghurt
£64.77 was given in monetary donations and various people helped with jobs around the cafe. A large amount of food was intercepted from the Food Bank. It included tins, jars and packets.
As we had so many willing volunteers today, we took some time to clean and organise the kitchen. It was a very rewarding experience, as we found various items that had been lost, and saw the true colour of some surfaces that had been hidden for a while. The stock cupboard is now neatly arranged, with ingredients labelled in tubs. This makes cooking so much easier as you don’t have to hunt around for what you need.
A massive thank you to everyone who supported the cafe today (including all of the hard working volunteers)! You helped us to #feed bellies not bins!