We had a great day in the cafe today. Four students joined us to help with the food preparation, as well as our wonderful regular volunteers. Some delicious dishes were created as they worked together.
Racheal from TRJFP Castleford visited us to collect some crockery and cooking equipment to use in her project. Anna from TLC junk food cafe came last week to collect other items. These were all things that we were kindly given when Leeds Church Institute were clearing out their kitchen. It is great to be part of The Real Junk Food Project network in which we can share resources and give and receive support from other cafes.
A student from Leeds University came down to discuss collecting ‘waste’ food from students at the end of the academic year. Hopefully we’ll be able to help them with this wonderful job!
Here’s what our 40 customers ate in the cafe or took home for later:
- 12 portions of kale and wild garlic soup
- 14 portions of kale fritters
- 17 portions of vegetable bake and tomato sauce
- 12 portions of broccoli cheese
- 5 portions of vegetable quiche
- 1 portion of chicken stroganoff
- 1 cheese omelette
- 1 kale and cheese melt
- 13 portions of banana and custard pudding
- 9 portions of bread and butter pudding and custard
- 7 portions of fruit cake and banana sorbet
- 2 portions of banana sorbet
- 1 portion of fruit salad
Various people helped out with clearing up and washing up. Food was intercepted from a person whose freezer unexpectedly defrosted, along with a few spices and some fruit.
A massive thank you to everyone who supported the cafe today! You helped us to #feed bellies not bins!
This week we are open:
- Thursday 10am till midday
- Friday 10am till 4pm