Today was a lovely day, both outside and inside the cafe. Outside, the sun shone brightly and the air was crisp…inside, it was warm and cosy, with friends conversing together over a drink or a hot meal.
A group of students from Leeds City College paid us a visit this morning. They really enjoyed their experience of ‘intercepted’ food! Then we had a visit from representatives of the neighbourhood forum. At lunchtime the cafe soon filled up as people sampled different dishes from the menu.
Thankfully we were blessed with lots of volunteers today. They worked hard in the kitchen to produce some delicious food, including 30, freshly cooked pancakes – quite an achievement!
Here’s what our 58 customers ate in the cafe or took home for later:
- 22 portions of beetroot, carrot and ginger soup
- 11 portions of beetroot and caramelised onion tart
- 10 portions of ratatouille with pasta
- 15 portions of ratatouille with bubble and squeak
- 8 portions of cauliflower cheese
- 8 portions of vegetable frittata
- 8 portions of quiche Lorraine
- 14 portions of egg custard tart
- 7 pancakes with lemon and sugar
- 6 pancakes with cinnamon roasted pineapple
- 6 pancakes with salted caramel sauce
- 3 pancakes with mince pie ice cream
- 2 portions of banana sorbet
- 7 pancakes with maple syrup
- 1 pancake with chocolate sauce
…and a few people added extra toppings to their pancakes as well!
£78.23 was given in monetary donations and various people helped with the washing up and clearing away. Lots of food was donated including chocolate, milk and spices.
A huge thank you to everyone who supported the cafe! You helped us to #feed bellies not bins.
Dont forget that we are open on Thursday 10am till midday for cooked breakfast.